Saturday, August 22, 2009

School days

The slow process of figuring things out at school continues. The panic about it ebbs and flows. Yesterday I was freaking out about one thing -- thinking I hadn't done something I was supposed to -- but found out I was totally off the hook for it. It was a huge relief, but almost at the same moment I found out about two other things I am responsible for; I had had no idea about either of them. That back-and-forth is kind of par for the course these days. Nonetheless, there are cool moments of levity, like when the kids are allowed to blast salsa music on the outdoor speakers during Friday lunch time. It was kind of awesome to be working in my office with that playing in the background.

As far as the kids and my classes go, things are pretty good. I remembered the other day that teenagers are teenagers. It doesn't matter if they are privileged Colombian kids or special ed kids in Boston. Fortunately, for the most part, they crack me up. Unfortunately, one of my classes has figured out that that's a good way to get me off track. There's one kid in particular who gets me every time. For example, he is very insecure about his English skills, and I am forever on his case to quit speaking Spanish. But, of course, I have slipped a couple of times, and as soon as I say something en espaƱol, he is on my case. The other day I had the class do this assembly line simulation thing as we're studying the Industrial Revolution. I was the line boss, and the name has stuck. To three of the boys in that class, I am no longer Sarah; I am "boss."

No comments:

Post a Comment