Sunday, December 13, 2009

Adventure!

I had been afraid that I would fall off the blog writing wagon at some point, and I certainly did. For what it's worth, the last couple of months have been a blur of work and work, with some time with great new friends sprinkled in there. I mean, I could have written more about how Colombian social and economic inequality are demonstrated every day at my school or how I was struggling to keep up with my Modern World History class, trying to teach the Vikings and the Mongols for the fist time. But I didn't.

So now the semester is over, and I have just embarked on a trip to the Amazon. I arrived in Leticia today. It's the "big" town in the region -- a grid of tiny streets swarming with motorcycles. (I almost got run over by one in my first 5 minutes here. I mean really close).

We flew in over the rainforest, which was pretty amazing. A sea of green as far as the eye could see, interrupted here and there by barren patches with felled trees, which was a good reminder of how hard life can be in this remote area. When I stepped off the plane my glasses fogged up; it is THAT hot and humid here. Not that I didn't expect it, but. . . Not to over-share, but ladies, you'll understand this. It's so hot that you get that insta-under-boob sweat. Not to mention that my hair is already plastered to my head.

While I wait for my friends Evan and Moira to arrive, I am getting settled in town and at the hostel where we're staying. It's 9 blocks from the river (which I haven't seen yet) and about 7 from Brazil.

Signing off to go find some exotic fruit juice. I think this is going to be a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment