Sunday, March 31, 2013

Things I'm going to miss #4: Devotion


I had started to think about this aspect of life in Colombia the other day when I saw a teenaged boy walking down the street arm in arm with his mom (or aunt or grandma), but I didn’t know what to call it until I walked past a church today, Easter Sunday.    The church of Santa Beatriz  is between my apartment and the gym and the seamstress and the hardware store and the closest mini-market, so I walk past it pretty often, including most Sundays and holy days that we have off work.  Without fail, when Mass is being celebrated on those days, the place is so packed that people are standing in the doorways or sitting outside in little camping chairs or on tiny folding wooden stools.  Non-practicing-anything heathen that I am, I always think that that seems like a lot of trouble to go to for Mass, but I also always have to marvel at what moves people to do it.  Today I saw this devotion taken to another level.  Not only were people standing in the doorways, but they were doing so in crowds ten people deep.  Others were sitting on the park benches  outside the church next to the avocado seller lady who is a fixture here at Santa Beatriz.  Even later, when the service was over, I noticed (not for the first time) that many people who walked past the now-closed-up church crossed themselves as they went by.   I am not saying that all Colombians line up for Mass (in fact, many are devoted to a wide range of Protestant churches too), or that people in the States don’t turn out in huge numbers at churches on Sunday, but something about the worshippers camped out at Santa Beatriz gives me pause and reminds me of the fervor with which Colombians approach so many aspects of their lives.

Take the family, for example.  Going back to the teenaged boy walking arm in arm with his mom, I have to say that that’s not something that I have seen very often in the States and to me, that gesture captures a simple truth about life in Colombia, namely that family is everything.  Having grown up far away from all but my immediate family and having subsequently moved away from them too, I have to appreciate the closeness that characterizes so many families here.  From my friend Adelaida who spends pretty much every Sunday at her parents’ house and whose sixteen year-old daughter is not above coming to the faculty room to give her mom a hug, to MarĂ­a Elvira who rushes home on her free afternoon to have lunch with her husband and either one of her grown children if they’re around, to Camila who always seems to be doing one thing or another with her mom, her dad, and/or her sister, to my Colombian colleagues who are mystified by my decision to live so far away from my family, to my student (she’s a senior) whose dad meets her and her brother at the school bus stop most afternoons, to my manicure lady whose kids sometimes run around the salon on a Saturday afternoon, family ties are everywhere and are absolutely cherished.

Indeed, it is safe to say that the only thing that can even begin to compete with the treasures of faith and family is the national soccer team.  For the first time in a long time, it has been kicking butt in the latest round of World Cup qualifier matches (except for their 1-0 loss to Venezuela the other day), and people are going nuts.  On game day you can buy a jersey on just about any street corner, and you kind of feel like you need to unless you want to be the only schmuck in the city who isn’t wearing one.  Bars and restaurants are decorated with balloons and streamers, and everybody from the ladies at the salon to the patients in a doctor’s waiting room are glued to the TV.  If for some reason you aren’t watching the game, no worries.  You can tell when Colombia scores a goal by the shouts that reverberate through every apartment building on the block.  I can't wait til they play Argentina in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment