Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Revolution will not be televised, but it has great rhythm

I arrived in Cuba on the afternoon of April 16, which was the 50th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion, that U.S.-backed debacle that Cubans refer to as the battle of Playa Girón (after one of the beaches where the attackers landed). For a history geek fascinated by the history of radical political movements and a long-standing interest in the history of U.S. intervention in Latin America, this was a great starting point. This island, so demonized by U.S. politicians for years, really had pulled off something different than any other country in the region. So what have been the impacts, dare I say the successes and failures, of this other American revolution? What does communism look like in practice? As a casual tourist, would I even be able to tell? Or would I have to "settle" for just soaking up the uniqueness of the things I had expected to see: old cars, crumbling but clearly once-grand buildings, impossibly turquoise Caribbean waters, and revolutionary propaganda everywhere?





One of the first things that struck me as I walked around Havana was that there were used book stalls all over the place. Of course, Fidel's writings featured prominently in the selection, as did books by and about Che Guevara and José Martí. Also ubiquitous were the newspapers of the Cuban Communist Party, Granma (named for the boat that carried Fidel, Che, and other revolutionaries to Cuba from Mexico in 1956) and Juventud Rebelde (Rebel Youth); people were selling them and reading them on every corner. Say what you will about what people were reading -- I bought a comic book called "Girón: Victory of the People" -- but the fact of the matter is that is a country of highly literate people. According to the CIA World Factbook, the literacy rate in Cuba is 99.8%. Not long after coming to power, the revolutionary government declared 1961 "The Year of Education." That year, "literacy brigades" fanned out across the country and taught more than 700,000 people to read and write. To me, this is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

That said, I had plenty of moments when stereotypically not-so-great things about communism were (sometimes comically) apparent. There was the fancy-looking ice cream parlor where it took a game of twenty questions to establish that they only had one flavor available. There was the customer service, which could be indifferent at best or even make you feel like you were out of line for interrupting the person who was reapplying their makeup, braiding a girl's hair, or having a snack. There was the airport waiting room that was almost pitch black because all the lights were burnt out. There were the Soviet-era airplanes. Sweet Jesus, those planes! Thankfully, I had been warned about the condensed, foggy air that came billowing out from under the seats prior to landing, but still.

And then there was the propaganda. It is absolutely everywhere you turn, in the form of murals, flags, banners, posters, billboards, handwritten signs, and (my personal favorite) coloring books. It is full of hyperbole and optimism. Sometimes it is an overt call to arms. It permeates captions under exhibits in museums. It maintains the cults of personality of (mainly) Fidel, Che, and Camilo Cienfuegos. It is without a trace of irony. Truthfully, to me, it was everything from quaint to ridiculous to cheesy to creepy to downright funny. I know it's not supposed to be any of those things, but I have to admit that that's how I saw it.

These casual observations aside, it was my conversations with regular people that gave me the best -- which is to say, complex -- picture of what the revolution meant for the average Cuban. Antonio, the tour guide who led me around on my first day there, showed me his card that gives him permission to "trabajar por cuenta propria" (work on his own behalf) and told me about his work with brigades doing extermination of mosquitos. I was struck by my encounter with a man who, upon seeing me taking a photo of a Girón commemoration poster, stopped rooting through the garbage to show me the pin that identifies him as a veteran of the battle. Jorge the Havana taxi driver talked about how gratifying his work as a teacher in Angola was, when he went there in what I can only think of as a sort of communist Peace Corps. The groundskeeper and father of two who showed me around the historic Colón cemetary told me about how his wife disappeared, only to call him from Miami to let him know she wasn't coming back. Manuel, a taxi driver in Santiago de Cuba, reflected on his time spent cutting sugar cane and gave a withering indictment of a system that he described as failed. His observations stood in stark contrast to those of my hosts in Santiago who raved about the Girón commemoration extravaganza televised a few days earlier and, while acknowledging that they weren't enough, boasted that the prices of certain rationed goods had not changed since 1970.

So I am left with those stories and images and impressions, as well as an appreciation for the music that comes from every corner, the spontaneous salsa dance party I saw on the beach, the sunshine, the mojitos, and the warmth that (despite my earlier observation about customer service) characterized my interactions with almost every Cuban I met.

No comments:

Post a Comment