Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The orientation continues

Just briefly (since I realized that yesterday's post was kind of epic), there are a few more things that I am seeing and getting used to. One thing that I LOVE is the fact that Guillermo the security guard calls me "profe" or "profesora." It's even better than my usual name in Latin America, which, as soon as I meet someone becomes Sarita.

Big accomplishment of the day yesterday: navigating Colombian bureaucracy all myself. That included writing a letter to the Dept. of Taxes & Customs (in an attempt to get my boxes released) and rushing to a notary public to get copies of my passport authenticated. Fingers crossed that the documents will convince customs to liberate my stuff.

Finally, something I am struggling to get used to: boiling water at 8500 feet on a hot plate takes about 30 or 40 minutes -- no exaggeration. For a girl who loves her pasta, this is going to be tough.

Tomorrow I head off on a field trip with the other new teachers to Zipaquira Salt Cathedral -- a church carved completely out of salt. Photos to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment